The Travel Insurance Dilemma
When planning a trip, whether in-country or overseas, there are so many facets to cover that Travel Insurance can sometimes be overlooked. Believe us, this can be a great mistake! In our younger years we never took out travel insurance because of the added cost as well as the fact that we felt we just didn’t need it.
Then, one time after we had paid our deposit for a Panama Canal cruise, one of us was scheduled for surgery and we had to cancel. The result? We lost our deposit! Had we taken out insurance, the cruise line would have reimbursed us the deposit. Lesson learned!
Our advice is to always buy travel insurance. And, particularly if you are traveling out of the country, you’ll need to be sure that the following things are included:
- Baggage coverage
- Baggage delay coverage
- Change fee coverage
- Frequent Traveler/Loyalty Plan Coverage
- Missed connection coverage
- Emergency Medical Transportation
- Emergency Medical and Dental
- Trip Cancellation Protection
- Travel/Trip Delay Coverage
- Trip Interruption Protection
We suggest you check your homeowner’s policy, medical insurance policy and also your credit cards to see what coverage they offer. You may find some of the above items are covered but often reimbursement is limited.
We cannot stress enough the importance of being covered for emergency medical transportation, sometimes listed as EVAC, particularly when traveling overseas.
We did our research and found the best coverage and pricing to be Travel MedEvac.
WHO SHOULD BUY TRAVEL MEDEVAC PLAN?
Ideal for Vacationers, Cruisers, Business Travelers, Students, Missionaries, Church Groups, Time Share Owners, Snowbirds, Expatriates, Volunteers and Frequent Travelers.
PLAN TERMS – See Collateral and/or Website for Current Plan Options
- Daily Plans
- Policy Periods are available for terms from one day to 90 days, and anything in between.
- Available for those up through the age of 84. Applicants 85 or older are ineligible.
- If the applicant has been advised not to travel and is medically unstable, coverage will be denied or void.
- A max of 10 travelers per plan. An additional plan can be purchased for larger groups in increments of 10. Contact TME for Special Group Pricing.
- Full Territory Plans – Coverage when traveling in Travel MedEvac service territory
- Mexico – Services when traveling in Mexico only.
- Medical Tourism Plans – available for those 18 through 64 years of age, a max of 21 days, must be U.S. or Canadian resident, covers travel for select elective surgeries to Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean (excluding Cuba) and Central America.
- Annual Plans
- Plans offered include 6 month and annual policy periods.
- Plans are available for those through the age 84 based on effective date. Applicants 85 or older are ineligible
- *Classic Plan – Designed for those who travel multiple times per year, but never travel more than 90 consecutive days for any single trip
- Extended-Stay – Designed for those who travel or who may be part-time residents for extended periods within the service territory up to 180 days maximum per trip.
- Expatriates –available for full time expatriates who reside outside their home country for more than 180 consecutive days a year. These plans will be available in April 2018.
*Valid passports are required to be repatriated. It is important to ensure that your client purchases the correct plan for the period of time they desire coverage. Classic Plan holder coverage will be denied if the insured exceeds 90 days for any particular trip, and Extended-Stay Plan holders coverage will be denied if the insured exceeds 180 days for any particular trip.
All air medical transport home are to the plan holder’s home hospital in the US or Canada. Some scenarios may require transport to alternate facility first for stabilization.
- Individual – must be 18 years of age to 74 at time of application start dates
- Couple/Companion – includes an Individual (primary plan holder), plus one (1) additional child or adult (spouse/companion) up to age 74 residing at same address
- Family – Includes up to two (2) Individuals whom are parents/legal guardians, plus up to five (5) children under 19 years of age, or under the age twenty-six (26) if enrolled full-time as a student in an accredited university or college or legally dependent.
- Individual – Includes at least one (1) adult between the ages of 75 and 84 at the time of the application. At age 85, Plan holders are ineligible for renewal.
- Couple – Includes two (2) adults where at least one of the two adults is between the ages of 75 and 84 at the time of enrollment. The couple does not need to be married. At age 85, Plan holders are ineligible for renewal.
Take it from us … your travels will be much more enjoyable when you have peace of mind knowing that your travel insurance is there to protect you!